Our Little Infinity

I make it a priority to stay up to date on literary pop culture. I make it my mission to read every single novel or article that is even remotely popular at the moment. And because of my fixation, I've encountered some amazing authors and some even more incredible fictional worlds (The Hunger Games, the Goldfinch, Fifty Shades of Grey, etc.). In keeping with my usual pattern of gobbling up bestsellers, I recently finished reading John Green’s The Fault in Our Stars. And while I won’t give away any spoilers pertaining to the story, I can honestly say that TFIOS is one of the most well-written and inspirational novels of our generation.


That being said, our generation isn't particularly known for producing masterpieces of literature. We mostly churn out grammatically lax stories of dystopian adventure that merely manage to enthrall readers for a couple of days at most. But every now and then, an author comes along who shakes up the literary world with stories that take readers on an emotional and mental roller coaster ride of self-discovery. John Green, an immensely under-appreciated author, does just that. He is a writer truly in touch with the questions humans (particularly young adults) ask themselves at the most subconscious level.

Throughout the novel, Green repeatedly makes the argument (in beautiful and realistic prose) that humans, in spite of all the unfair and devastatingly depressing obstacles that are thrown our way, are capable of finding joy. Green tells the love story of a pair of star-crossed cancer patients that is both tender and encouraging.
"I believe the universe wants to be noticed. I think the universe is improbably biased toward the consciousness, that it rewards intelligence in part because the universe enjoys its elegance being observed. And who am I, living in the middle of history, to tell the universe that it...is temporary?"

However, I can’t help but be disturbed by the amount of people who think this novel is simply a story about love and death. I've read countless tweets and Facebook statuses saying, “Finished The Fault in Our Stars in three hours. I cried so hard” or “I want to love like Hazel and Augustus” or “Like, oh my god, Augustus Waters is literally the perfect man.” Aside from the fact that these responses are incredibly idiotic in their evaluation of what’s important…they also completely miss the point of the novel. (and would most definitely cause Hazel to ironically sigh at their sheer ridiculousness, amiright?)

Yes, the story is entertaining. Yes, the love expressed by Augustus in the novel is the dream of every woman who ever envisioned a romantic future for herself. Nonetheless, Green approaches deeply important existential questions that people should legitimately be asking: What are we supposed to do with the time we’re given? Will I be remembered for anything, anything at all? Should I be afraid of oblivion? Does God exist? What about True Love? How do I know what to believe in?

 I don't even think John Green has the answers to the questions he poses.

But I also don’t think he is trying to simply entertain readers with a sob-story. Instead, I think he wants us to know that we are not alone, no matter how insignificant we think we are. He wants us to question the world, to fill the Earth with intelligent curiosity. He wants us to re-examine how we approach illness and its accompanying stigma. But most importantly, I think he want us to celebrate life and all of the experiences that come with it.

The Fault in Our Stars
is a novel that addresses the infinite (see what I did there?) depths of human consciousness. John Green has presented the world with an opportunity, by way of the written word, to get a glimpse into the great beyond, whatever that may be. This novel, in its brilliance, will be read for generations to come. 

Shouldn't we at least try to really figure out what it’s all about?

"My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations" 
-Augustus Waters